Year 7 Catch Up money – 16-17
The year 7 catch up money has been used to purchase technology to support learning.
- We have purchased enough laptops for the pupils to have access to one during their literacy and numeracy sessions along with the technology needed to support their targets. The phonics scheme we use (‘headsprout’) has enabled the pupils to work independently on their reading strategies. The laptops have also given a means of communication for many pupils who find handwriting a challenge and have allowed them to communicate their creativity to a wider audience. The numeracy programmes have brought learning to life and engaged pupils in activities they would otherwise find difficult to access.
- 2 pupils have had a ‘Smartbox’. This is a more inclusive piece of technology which can be used with the eye gaze technology we have in school. Suitable for our pupils with complex needs, the Smartbox allows pupils to communicate and work with sensory stories individually.
- We have purchased an age appropriate reading scheme which allows the pupils to read content they are interested in at their level and have purchased and used a ‘words first’ scheme for our less able readers.
- We have purchased a ‘talking maths’ programme which we are using for an intervention group to teach maths in a creative way and engage reluctant mathematicians.
- We have purchased a maths / science workshop which came into school to bring maths alive in a practical / hands on way.
All year 7 pupils are on track to meet their end of year targets and termly progress meetings and regular teachers meetings ensure the interventions target the correct individuals.